Friday, October 31, 2008

AMERICAN VALUES AND ASSUMPTIONS
-by Gary Althen

PRIVACY

[Summary]

‘Privacy’ is greatly important values of behavior for Americans like the importance of individualism. They think people take a respite or recover their body and energy when they are sitting alone and having own time. Besides, American people are tending to not be able to understand and think weak when people always want to stay with someone else and afraid of being alone. For American people, no matter where they are such as rooms or offices, they always draw boundaries in their mind even though the places are opened, so if somebody pass over that line, it might make person, who draw that line, feel irritated.

[Personal Response]

I think American people are likely to have their own time even when they are sitting at the coffee shop. In Korea, now it is getting okay and easy to find someone who sits alone.
However, even a year ago, it was pretty hard to find someone sit in a public places and eat or do something-except library-. I think this behavior of American people is closely related to Individualism. People either understand and respect whatever a person is having own time, or just nor care about them, which is good because we do not need to care about other’s frown or concern and have my own free time.

3 comments:

Ahmed said...

Temmi... Finally, you finished a subject on time... just kidding
I have a small comment about privacy, i don't think only americans want privacy. I think we need it too. we all need to be alone sometimes for some reasons. However, everybody wants his or her space where they can find their privacy which I totally agree with that. for example, I like to have my own room where I can be alone when I need that.

good point temmy ;)

Edwin's blog in public said...

Hello, temmi:
I think you tell the right thing that people in Korea who is sitting along in public is not so acceptabled. Not only in your country, Japan also. They will think this guy who is sitting along in public place has social problem. Recently, this circumstances is changging. I could see some Japanese guy alone eatting or sitting in some restaurants like YOSHINOYA. I think it is good, because people need enjoy some indevidual time.

MaestroAngelo said...

Hey~ It's good to read this one. LOL. I know something. Anyway, I like to this kind of formation to narrate stories~